Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Re: Did Bozak made their own electronics too??

I sold Bozak and McIntosh. Yes Bozak did make there own electronics, both amp and pre-amps. They made there own crossovers also. They made one other interesting crossover. This crossover made it possible to bi-amp your speakers. Bi-amp means that you have one stereo amp for the woofers and one for the upper rangers. Made the bass sound extremely tight and controlled. No muddled sound in the low end and it left the other amp to provide upper ranges that are clear. The low bass response in the Concert Grand’s went down to 20 or 28 cycles. The Symphony did not go that low somewhere 35 Hz. I have a pair of Symphonies, bi-amped with a pair of McIntosh 754's. You should see people’s faces when you play them. I know why you cannot understand, that is because you have never heard them, when you do you will know. Now remember these came out of the Hi-fidelity era not the Steven Spielberg THX movement. These speakers were and are for the serious listeners. Not for the ghetto box group, who just need to hear a beat. One can hear the breath of a singer or the stress of a drum or the sound of a single guitar note hanging in the air. Sorry that does not happen with today’s speakers.

I had a friend who was a big Beatles fan. He said the same thing you did. Therefore, I had him bring his favorite album. Sergeant Pepper. He listened to both Bozaks and yes McIntosh ML4's. Up to that point, he did not even know there were animal sounds in the music. He left stunned. When one can hear every single note, a single sound, a hand hitting the side of a guitar then you know you have heard what the artist put on tape.

McIntosh would have these live verse recorded sessions. They used Tandberg tape plays and the rest was McIntosh. The audience was so stunned when the musician walked off stage. Since they thought, they were listening to a live session.

You should know that men like Rudy Bozak or Frank Gow at McIntosh where the cutting edge engineers in the audio business. They made the electronics that today brings more money than when they were new.

Rudy Bozak developed the infinite baffle speaker. The bigger the box the lower bass you can produce. The story is that he put 16 of these 12" speakers in a huge cabinet and shook the windows out of a building. They say he reproduce 16hz with them.

McIntosh subscribes to a different theory. They know a big box was required, but they thought that impractical so they made speakers that needed an equalizer. If you hear older McIntosh without that equalizer, than you did not hear McIntosh.

At present, I have a pair of bi-amped Symphonies and I am looking for Bi-amp Concert Grand’s. Does anyone know where there is a pair? I also have a pair of McIntosh XR5’s and ML2’s; I would like a pair of ML4’s. No hiss hiss boom boom sound for me. No Steven Spielberg, throw a lot of sound out there and see what you get. Oh yeah hiss hiss boom boom comes from the description we used for JBLs. The boomey bass and harsh hi end of a JBL. Another words no mid range just plain rock and roll speakers.

Rudy Bozak was just a hi fi engineer from Norwalk Ct. He has since passed on to the higher audio world in the sky. The company was sold to NEAR, New England Audio Research. Bogen of Mahwah NJ bought part of the line. I thought the electronic side sold to a group in Florida.

Check out Ebay they always have 5 to 10 Bozak items for bid and the McIntosh has between 150 and 350 items. McIntosh 275, which is a tube 75-watt amp, goes on Ebay from between $2000.00 and $4000.00. That unit sold for $275.00.

Anything else I can help you with I will. I sold this stuff between 72 and 75. Bozak and McIntosh remain the best you can buy.

Never go by what something looks like. What does it sound like? Close you eyes, listen. That does remind me of a pair of white Empire speakers that nobody could listen too or look at. One day a woman came in and needed a pair of white speakers. Why, who remembers. Anyway, they foot the bill, white. Who cared what they sounded like?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Did Bozak made their own electronics too?? - Stan Mocarsky 10:28:29 05/06/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.