Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

ping! if at all!

" Not for the first time, mind you, having complained about the output here, and had fixes started, several times before. One was a soft whine in one channel."

"Not for the first time", IE BEFORE the day they went digital for up and down links. And there's a 'before' in the same para, which you also seem to have missed.

Over two decades of listening in the same room to the same tuner, same spkrs, ...... .

And yes, I had complained before when there were problems, and gotten to know the people involved. They respected my hearing, on previous performance.

The faint whine which they hadn't noticed, until I pointed it out, was a decade earlier, than the day of going digital.

Everyone could hear it after I pointed it out at Duratone, a hi-fi shop, that afternoon. Went home and it was there too, and not on any other station, so I rang up. They shut the main transmitter down, went mono on the old one, and had a local announcer play records.

The difference was audible the day they switched over to digital up and down - about which I did not know - it was a much anticipated program of HIP stuff I knew, plus a repeated, heard before, live-tape from a concert at a festival in Yurrup. Demus playing Haydn on a Walter type fortepiano.

I thought 'something's sorta wrong', and I was NOT loving the sound, as I had the previous time it was broadcast.

So, I rang up and they admitted they'd gone digital, for up and down links, they did improve it by adjusting it for transient response and damping, and it IS acceptable now. What I did NOT get, for years after, was that it was non-linear encoding.

I knew less than squat about digital's issues then, and it probably went over my head, but the sound didn't, okay! I did know the Beeb was using 14 bit linear, so I probably assumed it would still be OK. R3 then still being highly regarded.

And JBTW, heaps of people in the BEEB, and in 'radio' as a job in the UK, disliked the sound of DAB from the get go, anyone more sceptical and double blind than John Nelson would be hard to find, no?

My logic about the high rez VS the low-rez camp? is THAT okay? Or have you got a problem with that, too?

Timbo in Oz
The Skyptical Mensurer and Audio Scrounger
Peace

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • ping! if at all! - Timbo in Oz 19:51:18 06/16/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.