Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Ok. Thanks, but.....

As someone not that knowledgeable about the various forms of data encription, and also not one to get excited about the cd vs. lp eternal debates, (My sota and et2 are in mothballs - too much hassle, sorry) you are saying....

1. at least 512kbps needed for good quality analog being converted to digital and then converted back.

2. Sirius is probably using no more than 192 kbps, but unless they tell us, there is no way of knowing exactly.

And it appears obvious they are not gonna tell us what they are doing.

So, how does 192 kbps compare to mp3? Or worse?

I must admit, I do not hear the dynamics I can get with a good cd, but then most cd's are not good, well recorded cds.

I also assume that the math is not as direct a correlation in terms of the psychoacoustics of what we here - 192/512 = 2/5, but it sounds more like 80+%, not 40%. Is that a reasonable perception?

Also, I assume that SACD and DVDa transmissions are even more condensed, to meet the 192 (or whatever) standard? IF they bother at all.

Is the Sirius contention, that the level of compression is variable based on the source material, really likely to be valid, or is it PR?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark

Thanks again

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.