Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

from Cable?!!!!

Seriously, you may well run into all sortsa problems with this, hum and noise for one. the HUM can be adrressed by an isoltaing tarnnie in the feed line, good commercial ones around $100, or you build one.

Noise and spuriae. Very few modern FM tuners have good rejection of Out of Band RF, and you will have heaps of that on the cable.

Yr cable coy, may be willing to help with advice and filters but then again from what I hear from others you may be stuck, even if they are helpful. IF you like do abit of search around at the Yahoo FM group on 'cable' and read about the probs people have had.

When we discuss the performance of an antennae into a rcvr (RF talk) we talk about 'the antenna and feed line' as having a characteristic 'noise figure'. Your cable company's line is likely to have a quite poor noise figure, and it will be carrying a much wider RF bandwidth, than a dedicated FM only antenna and line.

So, you may not be able to get the ROI you expect on $500, and of which the tuner is capable of.

My advice to you is to give it a try out, using a known good tuner borrowed from an audio buddy, who does use a serious directional antenna mounted to minimise its noise performance on that tuner, and thus knows what the performance should be on known sources. Both of you listen, at yr home, to the cable connection option with his tuner. Then you'll know how much shit you're pushing up the hill, beforehand.

Then, if the resutls are as poor as I am suggetsing might apply, try an ordinary dipole behind a curtain or across the top of a wooden pelmet, suitably oriented.

This way you can more usefully consider yr budget and what to spend it on, incl an antenna.

Oh, and on the Mommism front, aka /=> WAF in audiophile circles, it IS yr home too! Isn't it? Just check if yr cojones are still there first, and wear a box.

Timbo in Oz
The Skyptical Mensurer and Audio Scrounger
Peace

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • from Cable?!!!! - Timbo in Oz 19:03:02 06/15/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.