Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

lots of choices

There appears to be lots of choices, especially if you are willing to go used and visit the tuner info site a lot. I have an Onkyo 4700 in one system and a magnum dynalab in another. While the dyna is better, the difference is not really marked unless you really sit and compare. The cost difference is probably over 5:1.

Unlike many other areas of stereo technology, tuner technology does not seem to have gotten much better in the last 15 years, or at least, it seems that way to me. Creates a buyers market.

My Onkyo has a remote - does not do volume, but does do the key presets and reception matters. You can probably pick one up for pretty cheap if you shop around. Tuners made after 88 to 90 should have remotes.

Printed below is the tuner info site reviews of 2 onkyos. As you can see the price is right.

Onkyo T-4700 (1990, $450, photo) - Honorable mention. The T-4700 is a digital tuner that appears to be similar to the T-4087, but supposedly doesn't sound quite as good. It has the equivalent of 5 gangs and 4 ceramic filters, switchable wide and narrow IF bandwidth settings, tuning in .25 mHz steps, and a remote control. We suspect that it might be a great DX tuner with narrower filters installed. Three T-4700s sold for $150-256 on eBay in 3-5/02.

Onkyo T-4711 (1996, $600, black, gold) - Honorable mention. A digital tuner with excellent sensitivity and selectivity, the T-4711 has 6 ceramic filters and is a great tuner for DXing, especially when modified. It was available in a typical black cabinet or in a “50th anniversary limited edition” gold cabinet. The T-4711 has switchable wide and narrow IF bandwidth settings, a hi-blend switch, fine tuning in 25 kHz steps, a timer and a remote control. It also has RDS (Radio Data System), described in the T-4310 writeup above. The T-4711 usually sells for $250-395 on eBay, with a high of $425 in 6/03 when two guys ran it up from $270.

Finally, not as cheap, but cooler looking, the new Halo tuner is supposed to be very good. You might check audiogon to find a decent price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • lots of choices - MarkCR 09:23:57 06/15/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.