Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: McIntosh MR-71 Red Stereo Beacon

Pfui indeed. You have my favorite tuner, by far.

For the repair, I'd try to get a shipping carton from McIntosh. As I recall, the response to an emailed request was "no" but when I got someone at the factory on the phone the answer was "yes". That was probably ten years ago. If you can get the factory box, send the tuner to Audio Classics and have Richard Modaferri do his magic. (You can ask Audio Classics if they can sell you a shipping carton - they might.) He improves the audio and RF performance quite a bit, and does a full alignment. As he was the principal designer of the MR-77 & 78, there is no better source. He includes a very detailed report on the work he does, and how well the tuner performs. FWIW, he calls the Modaferri-modded MR-71 the "10B killer" and, while the RF section will never quite match the 10B, it comes close, and the audio, when he's done with it, is the best I've ever heard.

Yes, there are festoon lamps lighting up the dial from left and right. Unscrew the narrow top plate just behind the face plate and you can see them. Once you have replacements, remove the face plate and work your way in.

DO NOT LET **ANYTHING** TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THE DIAL GLASS!

The lettering will come off if touched by even the softest brush. The lettering, at this point, is basically dust that's still sitting on the glass because nothing can touch it. You can clean the front, but that's it, so handle it carefully by the edges. If there are fingerprints or other schmutz on the inside, leave it alone or you'll be sorry. If you remove the dial glass and have to set it down on the table, set it down with the front side down and hold it only by the edges.

Good luck!

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: McIntosh MR-71 Red Stereo Beacon - Bill Way 10:09:43 07/09/20 (1)
    • Thanks! - Cuernavaca 14:45:33 07/09/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.