Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

MR80

I finally got around to finishing up Power Supply PCB 1 & 2. These pics are the NEW caps and resistors I put in since the person who did the last "Upgrade" didn't do such a good job after I started to look more closely. The guy put Panasonic NHG caps (most of them) and they had a 2D dead sound to them.

I found caps (Radial) where axial should go but that wasn't the issue, there was bare wire showing from the wire of the extension going to the solder side on the PSU 1 pcb. Then I also found caps that the voltage ratings were way too high. I understand for the rectifiers but really not needed for the outputs of the voltage regulators. I also found a bad trace that when the person did the upgrade he messed up an Island pad that was barely making contact. So I repaired that too. So I put everything back to what Mac had in the parts list.

I replaced all the caps with Vishay BC Component Axial lead caps, Kemet Cap, Elna Cerafines, Audio Note Kaisei, Nichicon UFA, Elna RBD Bipolar, Elna Simics, and Takman resistors in the signal path.

Everything sounds really nice but I know it will need along break-in time before final judgement.

Next up will be upgrading the pcb where all the audio signal comes from. Then I should be done with the audio portion of the upgrades.

One thing I did notice is that the stations don't drift (just a little bit) like before I changed out the caps. So that was a good surprise.

Here are some pics of what I did.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - MR80 - Cougar 17:02:21 12/15/19 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.