Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

how many have tried a Rhombic FM Antenna?

I've moved. I was in Lynnwood, Wa. A Suburb on the north side of Seattle, just South of Everett. I am now in Raymond, Wa.

Here's a map:

At the east end of the Willapa Bay on the Willapa River. A quiet little lumber mill town. Raymond. Population? Not many. Nice and quiet. Surrounded by trees and greenery. weather: cool and toward the humid side. Coastal.

I am surrounded by tree covered low mountains. Weyerhauser country. And I have a fiber optic internet connection. Way out here. Not bad.
However I am presented with some challenges regarding FM radio reception.

But first more info:
I'm in another 3rd story flat. Rented. Nice solid building with floors that do not bounce. What a nice change from the last place. There are no foot fall issues. Nice solid construction. Looks and feels sturdy. Presumably this building will withstand whatever storms come in off the Pacific.

I've no option other than using indoor type antennae. At the moment I have a dipole up that does bring in many stations with excellent signal strength. However one in particular that I would like to use most often, a jazz station, has the signal strength but also it has quite a lot of hissy noise. I presume I am dealing with something that would be alleviated with an outdoor antenna, directional type and with a motor driven rotator. This is not an option. Repeat; This is not an option.

The tuner is decent. The antenna is the problem. It has to be an indoor antenna. Can modern technology help?

So...I am tempted to try fabbing my own Rhombic antenna just to see if it can capture a cleaner signal.

Also, anyone know any good primers on Radio and the fundamentals of receiving?

Thoughts?

-Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - how many have tried a Rhombic FM Antenna? - user510 13:39:36 06/13/17 (35)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.