Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: "your the tuner man"

Thanks Mark, you're too kind. But actually I'm not the tuner man.

I'd never looked at the AF-6 schematic before, so I thought I'd check it out. What I did was exactly what I suggested to you in my first reply, which was to stick to the power supply and output section as places to start.

I wouldn't know the first thing about improving the radio frequency performance of a tuner, and don't have the equipment to align one. You might want to contact inmate Mike Samra. I believe he does tuner alignments, but you'd have to check with him.

The caps in your FM-3 could need some more time to settle down, especially after not seeing power for three years. Give that thing plenty of ventilation too, they run hot!

Speaking of caps, the nicest upgrade I made to one of my FM-3 tuners was to change the two output caps (C82 and 83) to 0.1 µF Russian FT-3 Teflon capacitors. They're about two inches long, and you have to mount them vertically, so they just barely fit under the FM-3 cage. You'd need something to insulate the "top" lead from the cage, just in case it touches. I think I used electrical tape or heat shrink. They sound exceptional in the Dynaco FM-3, and are a bargain. I've included a link, if you're interested. No affiliation, of course.

Yeah, the B&O guy. He needs to take a lesson from you as to how to pose a direct question. He asks a vague, open-ended question, then gets his panties in a twist when he doesn't get the type of answer he wanted. It takes all kinds.

Have fun with your tuners.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "your the tuner man" - 1973shovel 06:41:41 09/26/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.