Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

Proton AT-670 tuner and door motor noise

Hi:

I just spotted and purchased a Proton AT-670 FM/AM Tuner at a recycling place here on Berkeley. It was clean and worked and was priced "right". However, I was giving the tuner a listen and heard the noise of a motor running inside the unit. This tuner has a "robotic" door on the right which at the touch of a button, is designed to rotate into view and back again, which a motor controls. The panel itself contains several controls for important and useful functions.

I inspected the mechanism, assuming that there might be a worn drive belt causing this issue.

After removing the little motor mount board and the belt for cleaning and reassembling the set, the problem persisted. If I touch the drive pulley on the motor, the motor will sometimes shut off and so on, but not always.

I was also not particularly impressed with the quality of what I found inside the very large box! What can be done to stop the door drive motor from running all the time? Should I simply disconnect power to the motor and see if the robotic door can be operated manually?

PS: if anybody wants to fool around with this tuner, kindly contact me. I really have no intention of keeping it. It sounds okay, but is not in the same league as many other tuners I already own.

Local interest would be preferred. Yours for $25, as is.

Edits: 06/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Proton AT-670 tuner and door motor noise - Marantzguy 13:11:50 06/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.