Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

That's great, but,

However, that's sadly not the case in most places.

I'm north of Chicago, I can pick up Chicago, Milwaukee, WI, Madison, WI, Champain-Urbana, Benton Harbor, MI, with the exception of WDCB in Glendale Heights there's really nothing worth listening to. Reception can be spotty with WDCB though.

I'm gonna guess that the public stations all play the same material at some point during the day. Most of their programming is probably national, or NPR. If so that's a big fail.

I don't listen to classical nor do alot of tuner enthusiasts.

Commercial stations change formats so often because they can't sell advertising for/to that audience.

You don't mention anything about sound quality. Compression is everywhere and so is digital signal correction. Regarding commercial stations, how anyone can listen to a commcercial station on a "good" "audiophile" rig is beyond me. There are so many effects and signal manipulations the sound is shit to my ears.

I gotta disagree somewhat with this statement:

"And 98% of the benefit of a roof mounted antenna can be had by selecting the limited number of models still available to buy. As the FM antenna gets bigger and bigger, with more elements, the gain and other benefits diminish very quickly over say a 6 element FM antenna. Of course, almost all the advantage comes from being on the roof, and on a rotor."

That might be true in an urban location but I'm north of the northern suburbs of Chicago and it doesn't hold true in my experience. Big time difference between 5 db of gain and 8 db (or higher) of gain on say 90 MHz.

I don't mean to sound malicious. I love tuner equipment, I love FM broadcasting and/or the spirit of, or what it used to be, I love to DX and I'm a member of FMtunergroup spun off from FMtunerinfo but let's fasce it FM broadcasting is on a downhill ride.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.