Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: Marantz 10B for rack mounting in black ?

Hi, Balazs:

I forgot to comment on whether units intended for broadcast monitoring differed in any way from commercial, consumer versions.

I do not know of any differences between standard models and what wound up in the hands of radio stations. As far as I am aware, the Marantz 10-B was not designated as a "broadcast monitor", per se.

Such designations were normally attached to the Scott 4310 and the Fisher FMR-1, both of which were designed as true broadcast monitor tuners. The FMR-1 was often issued with a gray 19" relay rack style front panel and closely resembled the standard Fisher FM-1000. However, it was often shipped with a special on-board accessory called the "diversity" module. With the diversity feature, you had a tuner which allowed crystal-locked selection of a designated frequency, selected by a front-panel switch. The module itself, sat in a special rear portion of the chassis, which in normal FM-1000 tuners, was covered with a blank flat panel, held down with a couple of screws.

A friend of mine in SF owns one of these FMR-1's. He also owns the actual rack-mounted Scott 310-D with separate racked Scott 335 which came out of KPEN FM, Jim Gabbert's pioneering FM Stereo Multiplex station, which was the first such station in Northern Californai to broadcast in FM Multiplex stereo in 1961.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Marantz 10B for rack mounting in black ? - Marantzguy 10:17:45 09/21/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.