Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: That so depends...

Russ's reply is great and I wouldn't add to it except that he omitted to mention the Van Scoyoc cross-coupled splitter. I've never found a clear description/critique of this splitter, not even in the venerable Radio Designer's Handbook. Mr. Stan White, who used it in his 1951 POWRTRON design, seems to think that it's the best but doesn't explain why.

I'd like to use the cross-coupled splitter sometime. I prefer an all-differential amp. I'd like to get the full gain from both halves of the splitter. It would also be nice to avoid having to lose voltage in the tail, as happens with a resistor or a pentode CCS (yes, I know I could use a SS CCS but I've never had any luck with them there "three-legged fuses" in tube circuitry).

The cross-coupled splitter offers good balance, good gain, good PSRR and the whole of B+ to play with. It's also very easy to apply negative feedback to its input. Its big draw-back is that it can't tolerate a high-level signal, because of the way the drive is applied from the cathode follower in the first half to the grid and cathode of the second part (the part that has the gain). However, provided that we use a sensibly high voltage and low current for the tubes concerned, our bias should be high enough to cope with a typical line-level signal of up to 2v RMS. The consequence of this limitation is that a cross-coupled splitter must be used early in the amp circuit, namely, as the input stage, which dictates an all-differential design.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.