Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Re: here we go again...

>> The tube amp designers bible, Valley & Wallmann's "Vacuum Tube Amplifiers" goes into CF's in quite some detail, and focusses on how to make them linear WHEN DRIVING CURRENT into a load - and this is where I first read about the advantages of CCS loading and bootstrapping them. >>

Allen,
Valley and Wallmann is great if you're designing a RADAR. Not so useful if you're trying to make a practical audio amplifier. Yes, I own it.
No one is arguing that feedback and current sources do not make cathode followers more linear. That's undoubtedly true. I was merely responding to your brash taunt that all non-ccs'd cathode followers are "miss piggies" and don't belong anywhere in audio. That's a silly statement.

And declaring that because several tube scopes use CF's with current sources, and thus they are the only correct way to use a CF in an audio application shows a lack of understanding of the fundemental differences between the two tasks, and the limitations inherent in audio to begin with (we won't even go into speaker distortion).

I find it amusing to note that you find a "plain jane" cathode follower repulsive, tweaking them for more gain, bandwidth, and linearity, and yet you seem to be fine with using output transformers!
Bleccch! Talk about limited...

Joel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.