Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Thanks for that information...

If it is only 100C then I would not worry too much - it is a different situation when the tube is running at maximum dissipation andthe glass temperature gets around the 220C.

It has to do with the Kelvin temperature of the cathode which should stay within a narrow band. Cannot remember where I read all the details otherwise I would point you in that direction.

But for rare and/or expensive tubes it may be worthwhile to use. I am having a pair of EL506 (the last iteration of the 7868 with half the distortion of the 7868/7591) and good luck finding a pair of those. I've 4 four pairs of 7868, two pair are NOS the others I don't know. But the 7868 are Novar whereas the EL506 are Magnoval so it means a socket change if one of the EL506 goes belly-up.

I'm using slow ramp up of the filament and then slow ramp up of B+, every hour extra that I can squeeze out helps. Same as that I am running my amplifier at design ratings and not at absolute ratings what many manufacturers do (and shorten tube life).

I've also stocked up with the 12AT7 driver: got five NOS Telefunken ECC81's and three NOS Brimar E81CC. Fortunately all bought before the short supply of new tubes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.