Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Photos

After examining these again in a better light and also making measurements, I see now that the OD of the "steps" is essentially the same as the OD of the socket walls. There's a slight difference; the socket walls are about .002 or .003 smaller, probably due to a slight taper in the walls that existed before the notch was cut. At any rate, this is too small to have the effect I was thinking about earlier. My concern now is that the smallest hole that can clear the brown socket is 1.160", but the OD of the face is 1.230" This means there's only 0.034" of support available (maximum) around the edges of the socket. The black socket is a little better. Measurements indicate 0.045" of support available around the edge. Even this doesn't seem like much surface area working against the force of pulling an octal tube in and out of the socket.

I can cut a hole to any diameter, but this is why I was wondering if there might be a difference in the two types (sockets for chassis mount vs. sockets meant for a hood or shell). My parts are older stock, but current literature from Amphenol shows a 78S8 that looks like this. The 78S8 is a socket meant for wavy ring mounting, and Amphenol specs the mounting hole at 1.172". That size cutout would only leave 0.029" of support around the edge of the brown socket.

I'm curious which chassis punch size you used and whether you had any issues with this.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Photos - Triode_Kingdom 11:08:48 04/08/21 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.