Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: On the Importance of Transfer Efficiency in Tubed Amps

My bottom line is that No Matter How efficient an amp IS, you are limited by the speakers efficiency.
The rest is heat.
Certainly PS is of top importance. Never said or thought otherwise. That's part of the equation of 'plug to output' efficiency approaching maybe 90% or so at FULL OUTPUT. That number drops as at lower powers. With NO output, and regardless of of actual power used, you have ZERO efficiency.

I don't think I misunderstand a thing. And No, the technology hasn't really changed much in the last decade and a half. You still have full and half bridge outputs. You have certainly improved the SMPS with even higher frequencies.....But are still otherwise up against the wall of physics.

PS> I worked for international rectifier for near-20 years. I have an IR 'D' amp out in the garage and would like to get a decent linear supply together and test it.....

I just read the article with which I substantially agree. D power efficiency is only slighly better than good A/B at LOWER POWERS but does have a substantial advantage at high power. And all the rest.
I'm not sure if they eventually got to some of the problems with 'D' amps, many of which do NOT matter in normal use. Long time period power output can be an issue based on heat sinking. The output Zobel can also be a problem. I'd link it, if I could find it....some of the original paperwork which went with the B&O ASP modules. You'd be surprised at some of the 'real' numbers......

Too much is never enough

Edits: 10/19/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: On the Importance of Transfer Efficiency in Tubed Amps - pictureguy 19:09:00 10/19/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.