Tube DIY Asylum

RE: Boy howdy,that really made a difference!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

You know that is one of the more interesting things I have run into. JC Morrison, in a article in SP magazine a while back, said that he had come to the conclusion that the smallest coupling capacitor he could use was the best. Just for the heck of it I have tried using the 0.1uf Russian silver mica on each amp I have breadboarded over the last couple of years. I have a pretty good collection of other types so I would have my own little shoot out each time. Invariably I liked the sound of the 0.1 silver mica best each time. I don't know if it's my particular taste or if there is something else going on there but I am now of the opinion that JC had it right. I can't tell you why, but it sure works for me. You can still get them on the 'bay, you ought to give it a try.
Forgot to mention that I did try a 0.5 cap and did not like it as well. The other thing is I am getting really good bass, especially on the 813. I haven't tried the low organ notes yet, but I hardly listen to that music anyway.
Had to add an edit.... went back and tried the 0.5uf cap again after reading your post since I have made a few changes to the amp since I tried it the first time. It sounded pretty good this time, and I noticed the bass seemed to be a bit tighter than with the 0.1uf cap. I will have to do some more listening before I know for sure, but it's showing promise.

Edits: 02/15/19   02/15/19   02/15/19

Follow Ups: