Tube DIY Asylum

Finally ........... it's done.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

It has taken me forever to actually build the frontend for my triode connected 26/813/813 SE amp. I have had to fit the work in when time was available and also had to do a lot of head scratching and planning to make all the parts fit in the old chassis that once was the frontend of my 91A clone. The chassis is a matching one for the psu. I built them both out of some solid black walnut I bought some years back so I wanted to keep it.

Anyway, as you can see from the attached under the hood photo, there is not a lot of extra room in there. It is in about 3 layers, and it required that I use a sub-assembly approach for putting it together. I took each tube socket and soldered on all the parts and wires that would be attached to it before I mounted them on the chassis. When they all were finished I started with the lowest layer (closest to the top plate) installing them and making connections, and worked my way to the highest layer. The highest layer of course is the one closest to the bottom of the chassis. It worked rather well, and I think on any future builds I will use the same approach if I have to work in a tight area.
I was a bit worried about hum with everything so close together, but all the filaments are dc and that seemed to do the trick. Dead quiet as far as I can tell, except for an almost inaudible buzz when my ear is literally against the speaker.
I really like the sound, so I guess it was worth all the time and effort. If you are looking for a great sounding tube for an SE amp, don't forget to check out the triode connected 813 and 26 combination.

Edits: 05/30/17

Follow Ups: