Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Completely re-cap the AM/FM front end while you're at it!

guesser - in your experience is it likely an alignment would be needed if the caps are changed in the AM/FM sections?

what is the likely failure mode if these caps are bad? is it possible the AM/FM sections could take out the output transformers or create a short?

what is the likelihood the alignment for the AM/FM section isn't wrong with the factory caps that are potentially bad?

would you replace all caps regardless of type or just the paper caps?

in the case of this HK224 here I have found that my FM section is a bit flaky, volume levels of received signal fluctuate. there seems to be minimal frequency drift however... I'll probably change those caps out soon. for now I did the coupling caps from/to the concertina phase splitter and put the receiver in service.

there is always the ongoing battle of "recap everything" vs "recap what is bad". I've found the old timers generally prefer to only fix what is broken... and everyone that is roughly 50 years old and younger tend to lean toward "change everything."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.