Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Go Gusser!

I think I see where you're going with this, you are intending to write a JAES paper and you are testing some of the ideas out here. Here's some suggestions to clean up the argument:

To say something is hogwash is to say it's useless and should be thrown away, so drop the hogwash and just say that. You would be expected to provide at least some rudimentary test results, so just have some buddies over for beers and test them. If you add some TIM to a musical selection you are adding energy to the signal and thus effectively raising gain, and that's an old Hi fi salesman trick to turn the volume up a bit to make the thing you are trying to sell sound better. With this you can probably get some people to actually prefer the TIM'd examples, and Otala did note that some of the test subjects did. It's also fairly easy to prove that people are guessing during audio tests if you make them guess, so do rapid switching among orchestral recordings with both loud and quiet passages. After awhile they won't even know what ocean they're in.

You have criticized Dennis and Jeff for promoting speculative and unsubstantiated theories, and you also leave yourself open for criticism in this regard if you don't provide something a bit more concrete. Lisa Randall once said to me when I asked her a question about Loop Quantum Gravity that "It's just a theory", though she did admit she respected the author of LQG. So far you just have an interesting theory, but the ear is the final arbiter in all things audio to paraphrase Olson. And it wouldn't hurt for you to make some appeals to authority too.

BTW Otals did say that the 0.003% TIM was clearly audible to the six golden ears on musical selections, but he noted that they could only hear a difference, but not identify which version had the TIM added. That alone would seem to open an area to study. Also Otala did use square waves as you stated, but he also used triangle waves in some of the tests too.

We're pull'n for ya!

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.