Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!

It appears that sometimes the very best debugging tool is just blind luck. This afternoon, while trying some of the suggestions offered (thanks guys!) I just happened to notice that when I turned the volume down pretty low there was very little distortion. What the hey says I, and just for yucks used clip leds to wire a stand alone volume control I have to bypass the one on the breadboard. How 'bout that %&$# Mable, no more distortion, everything sounds great. Must be that the carbon film on the volume pot has gone bad or some such thing and was causing an erratic signal to be sent on ahead. The strange part is there was no scratchiness or anything like that to give an indication of trouble or I might have checked it sooner. Anyway, I am going to quit while I am ahead for once and wait until tomorrow or the next day to get back to doing an A/B test between the PP and SE amps to see what difference I might hear. I will report back later. Thanks for all the help folks! Your suggestions did turn up a few other things that needed attention and they helped me eliminate some possible causes.

Edits: 06/22/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh! - vinnie2 12:42:20 06/22/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.