Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: trading boatloads of feedback for non-inverting preamp section?

"Why don't you just flip your speaker wires?"

Indeed, the obvious solution would seem to be just to switch over the speaker wires, if you are unhappy with the phase that a given amplifier is feeding to the speakers. The speakers are, after all, the most likely source of asymmetric distortion.

The only reason I can imagine for wanting to maintain a specific phase earlier in the chain is if you suspect that your power amplifier has a substantial asymmetric distortion, and thus you want to feed it with a particular phase from the preamp. (Though why you would suspect that the signal from the preamp, or indeed the music source you are using has a preferred phase I am not quite sure.)

I suppose an SET amp may have high enough asymmetric distortion that the issue of the phasing of the signal it is fed might be of concern. But really, if you are using an amplifier that injects such a degree of distortion, then you are not really in the realm of hi-fi sound reproduction.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: trading boatloads of feedback for non-inverting preamp section? - cpotl 07:13:12 06/17/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.