Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Engineering reasons

" We all know music is under 12k but I'm sure there's a reason why we choose transformers with extended bandwidth, sometimes 100khz and above."

If we look at a simple, single pole 6db per octave low pass filter we see that the amplitude is still down 1db one full octave below the -3db point.

A OPT that is rated for -3db at 15kHz will still be down 1db at 7.5kHz

Then there's the matter of phase shift. A filter causes not only a loss of amplitude but also a shifting of phase. The music's phase is shifted for a decade from the -3db point. So if the amplitude is -3db at 15kHz the phase will be shifted all the way down to 1.5Khz

If we want the response (phase and amplitude) of a system to be flat 20Hz-20kHz we need the filter's (high pass and low pass) -3db points to be 2Hz-200kHz.

If we want response of a system to be flat 50Hz-15kHz we need the filter's (high pass and low pass) -3db points to be 5Hz-150kHz.

These are "tall" orders, especially for an output transformer, but there are real world benefits in meeting them whenever possible.

BTW There are low pass and high pass filter everywhere in a circuit. Every cathode bypass cap forms a filter, every coupling cap forms a filter. The Miller capacitance of each stage forms a filter. Stray inductance, stray capacitance etc. It's not just OPT's.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Engineering reasons - Tre' 07:27:58 06/11/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.