Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: final update ....

Tom
From what I have read, some people think that one of the biggest differences in amplifiers is caused by distortion. I want to investigate that before I do anything else. I have picked out a nice little schematic for a simple pp 6bq5 that I will be bread boarding in the not too distant future I hope. If I don't hear enough difference between the SE and PP amps I will have to start looking at other things.
I am already doing what you suggest about listening to familiar passages. I have several cd's with tracks on them I know very well, and that is what I listen to when comparing amps. The tracks includes various instrumental selections as well as some vocals. Some are lively and some are less so. I think I am testing with a fairly broad range of music including jazz, classical and pop.
I couldn't agree more about having an advantage for building, but it is also important to try and build the best amp I can for the least amount of money. It's a challenge I enjoy. I have mentioned in other posts how I do not believe in spending mega bucks to chase what I call the last 5% of the asymptotic sound quality curve because you very quickly reach a point of diminishing returns. You have to make trade offs sometimes, but that is to be expected in any project.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: final update .... - vinnie2 14:55:52 06/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.