Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Line Stage Output Z

This is a problem with any tube-type line stage, not only followers. It isn't as apparent with common cathode designs, because their output Z is usually fairly high, even at 1kHz.

There are only two solutions I know of for flattening the output Z of a cathode follower. One is to make the cap larger. That's what most designers do. The other is to apply a negative voltage under the cathode resistor (or choke), then direct-couple the cathode to the output. This requires a servo circuit to apply negative bias to the grid, in order to keep the cathode at exactly zero volts DC. It also requires adding a small blocking cap at the grid in exchange for the larger output cap. Whether it's beneficial depends on the impedance of the loads being driven. A 100K resistive load can normally utilize a relatively small output coupling cap, so eliminating it probably has little or no advantage.

I thought of this technique and designed a circuit in SPICE while recently working on choke-loaded followers. The next day, I discovered that Sy at SYclotron Audio had done the same thing several years earlier. Oh well...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Line Stage Output Z - Triode_Kingdom 12:42:12 06/06/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.