Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

How hot is too hot?

Got the filaments all burning at about the same brightness on the new 813 amp by changing out one 813, so I guess the one it replaced had a filament with lower resistance and made that side burn brighter. But now it appears there is another issue. I ran the amp for several hours this morning and it just kept sounding better and better, but remembering all the resistors under the hood I decided to see how hot things were getting. After several hours of playing the top plate was too warm to keep your hand on comfortably for more than a few seconds. It has not caused any apparent problems so far, but it makes me wonder; what is the maximum temp the other components under the hood can handle longer term? I did some spot checks of the top plate with my laser thermometer, and it varied from about 110 to 125 degrees F. Definitely hotter than any other amp I have ever built, but I don't know if I have ever seen any numbers on max temps. Anyone out there have data? I don't want to install a fan unless I have to because of the noise. The amp will be only a few feet from my listening position.

Edits: 06/02/17 06/02/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - How hot is too hot? - vinnie2 16:22:14 06/02/17 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.