Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Questions about 6BG6G amp build Grommes 216BA - Pic

What I was saying was,if the choke is totally miscalculated for circuit,it can change the impedance of the power supply and how it relates to the load that it is feeding.This can cause loss of dynamics and or freq response.It happens mostly at lower frequencies like 120hz.
I figured this out years ago when I took the choke out of a Citation 2 and put it in the Golden tube SE-40 and we are talking two amps that draw close to the same current. When I put the choke from the Deuce into the SE-40,everything got muffled and dynamics just washed out. The Choke in the SE-40 was a bit larger,but the choke in the Deuce was like .7hy but being both amps had plenty of capacitance of either side of the choke,I didn't think it would be a big deal.
As I have said,I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't work however,just throwing a high inductance choke that looks impressive into a power-supply can cause issues that one might not expect.That's why I asked Pete if it was the one already designed for that circuit.
I'm one of these people that believe in measuring the basic fundamentals when you make any electrical changes.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Questions about 6BG6G amp build Grommes 216BA - Pic - Michael Samra 08:59:18 05/27/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.