Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Why use Mercury?

about 20 years ago I made up a "mercury vapor fredifier" which consisted of a dead 71A busted open and a pair of hexfreds soldered in place and a couple of blue LED's. A bit of matte spray on the inside of the envelope opbsured the innards enough to make a pretty convincing 83 replacement. At the time I was using a Loesch type linestage and could sub between different rectifiers very quickly. The swap du jour of that timefram was between three different "mercury" type tubes, 83's 287a's and the fredifier. Nobody had a clue that one of them was a sand device and at the time the hexfred was to be the sure death of any future use of tube diodes. Long story short, the difference in sound was easily heard with several people mentioning the "hash" they heard from the fredifier.

I guess it has been 20 years and I currently have a phono stage that can take dampers or mercury and I use those particular schottlys in my quad HV supplies so I guess I'll report back.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.