Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Full wave bridge into Choke PS

Choke input topology can be used with either a full wave CT or full wave bridge configuration. As Triode Kingdom has stated: one will yield half the voltage but twice the current (full wave CT) than the other. Once that issue has been decided, then one has to consider choke input or capacitive input (or in between, but let's leave that for a future discussion). As has been pointed out choke input yields about 0.9 times the RMS output voltage of the transformer, capacitive input about 1.4 times. The big disadvantage of choke input is less voltage. The advantage? Choke input supplies draw power though the PS transformer almost continuously; capacitive input supplies in sharp, short pulses. This generates harmonics of the line frequency that can reach to the RF region. Avoiding this "hash" rather than trying to mitigate its effects is, in my opinion, one of the main reasons to use choke input and worth the price of less voltage.

Disclaimer: I use choke input for virtually everything.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, then speak and remove all doubt." A. Lincoln

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.