Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

May be true, but for a different reason.

Here is an anecdote about Svyatoslav Richter, a famous 20th century pianist. This is from his memoir book.

Richter loved listening to recorded music, but his "system" was a compact portable grammophone of the most despicable variety. Many of his guests asked, how he, a top-notch artist, could be content with such poor quality of sound. To which Richter answered: "I don't care about quality of sound, I care about quality of performance.

In my humble experience, the quality of performance may come through from a worn-to-death acoustical 78 rpm recording further crippled by digitizing and noise reduction.

Many professional musicians enjoy their Best Buy equipment simply because they are unaware that anything better exists. That does not mean Best Buy stuff is good. It is not.

A lady friend of mine, herself violin player in a string quartet, once commented on the sound of my system. "It is unnatural", she said, "it sounds as if we are in a big hall, but in fact we are in a small room. It is schizophrenic".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • May be true, but for a different reason. - sser2 19:22:17 03/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.