Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Too low plate R value for a triode ? and CCS substitution?

What I was trying to say, and doing a poor job, is this.....

If you keep the plate load resistor high enough as to not substantially increase the HD, the amount of gain reduction from a proper value plate resistor to a less than optimum value plate resistor is so small as to be of no real consequence.

Of course the gain will drop if you load the tube with a vertical load line but why would anyone do that?

I guess I should ask Victor.

"I have just bought a BAT VK5se preamp for good deal.
What I have found is the plate resistor being abnormally low value for the parallel 2 section of 6h30. The plate R of 6h30 per section shown in EH datasheet is 840 ohm per section then parallel 2 section is 420 ohm.

However the plate resistor is only 1250 ohm which is less than 3 times of 420 parallel section of 6h30. Is it normal for high priced preamp design?"

So Victor wasn't just "saying" that you can lower the gain of a tube by loading into a vertical load line, Victor is actually "doing" just that.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 03/23/17 03/24/17 03/24/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Too low plate R value for a triode ? and CCS substitution? - Tre' 13:25:27 03/23/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.