Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Why not?

Now my ears probably are't good enough. but I'll bet there are people who can estimate the db loss at certain frequencies. You could then plot that out based on their empirical observation. Then compare that with the known frequency response curve you programmed into the test.

Now if you want a machine that tells us whether I liked the music or not without any input whatsoever. No we can't do that. But here we are talking about personal taste. That cannot be quantified.

The evenness of a frequency response can be quantified. After all if it couldn't, then a hearing test would not be of any value.

Furthermore the performance test of an audio amplifier is rather simple. It must preserve the applied waveform in every area except gain. Now what is every area? Sure sinewave, square wave sweeps, and pink noise will not tell us all. And to a large extent that is what the hobbyist is limited to. But we have the capabilities of truly analyzing the 106 piece orchestra "waveform" in much detail today to spite what one person here often says. Any digital audio workstation can do that.

How do you think all these compression algorithms were developed. Yeah, yeah, we are talking about crap MP3 and other compressed formats on an audiophile forum. But you can't ignore the technology that was required to accomplish that feat.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Why not? - gusser 14:14:58 03/22/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.