Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Voices are just so real

I used to get that kind of effect a lot. In fact, that was my goal with SE triode amps when first got started.

This is what I call "magic mushroom" or "psychedelic sound" for you rabid objectivists. i don't think they know about this yet at Harman! ;op

The wildest was with a SE 71A with globe tubes. I could hear stuff behind me. The sound went way behind the back wall. There was no sense of speakers whatsoever.

Vocals has crazy inner detail and I could really hear breath modulation and small glottal and fricative articulations.

It was a good amp with 71A STs but the globe tubes were really insane.

I couldn't play big loud program with 700mW but on "Tuck and Patti" type stuff, WATCH OUT.

I also found that paper cone speakers help with this tripped-out effect, especially 755As. Not sure why. Never got anything close with compression drivers. That was a different problem set entirely.

I also found that good oil caps and AB resistors helped a lot, which is why I went around talking them up. There are probably other recipes, but that is the one I knew in 1988.

------------------------------

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent -- Wittgenstein

Free your mind and your ass will follow -- Parliament/Funkadelic

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.