Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Did you forget about the EL509/PL509?

I think some are using the EL519 too. Neither are particularly expensive.

IME, OTLs are cheaper to build on a DIY basis than a transformer-coupled amp of the same power, once you make the OTL big enough (60 watts or so).

A lot depends on how you build it, where you get your parts, etc.

But I don't think that is what makes them 'unpopular'. IME it has more to do with misconceptions in the field, for example one Futterman variant was so unreliable that it convinced most of the marketplace that if an amp was an OTL it would be unstable and would blow up (I have come to call that the 'Futterman Legacy' as it has been the single biggest marketing problem that we have faced in the last 30 years, and its something that all other OTL manufacturers have had to deal with as well). The 'Futterman Legacy' was so successful at this that in the marketplace there was no debate about it at all, while at the same time the tubes/transistor and analog/digital debates raged on!

So IOW I think it is misconceptions and marketing that are at the roots of the problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.