Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Any talk of Miller is stupid, archic, and off-base.....

Lew,

Well, by all means, Miller must be considered in a design. I just like to be dramatic at times, picks up the Forum from the summer time blahs.

But in terms of Loftin White, a half of a 12AX7 will beautifully drive a 2A3 if you design the amp the way Dennis does, as a total design.

I have had several others on this Forum build L-W 2A3 amps, and when they, or their audiophile buddies hear the amps, there is NEVER ever a discussion of Miller. The amps kick butt and they are very pleased.

Dennis is optimizing the first zero to one Watt...where the high efficiency speaker is operating 99.9 percent of the time, and he is not worried at all about how well it drives the finals at three point five watts.

One other thing, I was privy to what the EEs measured as far as frequency response of Dennis' amps at the University, and Lew, it was spectacularly wide band and linear. One can hear that at the RMAF show if one listens carefully, or, in private installations.

IF the amp is fed really good source materials, it responds and is exceedingly honest and neutral. In the last six years, I think Dennis has only had two instances when his digital (barf) source was up to snuff, 2005 when S. Harrell flipped-out in his Six Moons review, and in 2011, third day, Sunday, when the Berkeley and new computer server settled down.

This year, Dennis will bring a good digital source again, Dennis redid the computer's power supplies, and he'll tote his Berkeley to the show. With that, his amps seem to have no limits on good material. By Sunday, its FUN Lew, really FUN. Ask Dave Davenport privately, he took in 2011.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.