Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: So, Neff, been trying to model micro chokes?

No micro chokes for me unless I am working in the RF spectrum.

I have been analyizing the entire PS including the next section after the power tubes. I look for little nuances that can appear on the power tube side of the PS.

My power supplies as designed for a while are low DCR at least at the power transformer & tube rectifier. I use a hybrid bridge to keep the PIV lower. The foremntioned already makes a big difference. I also add .2uF input cap to a LCLC as a pre-suppressor before the LCLC.

I find my LCLC filter design has less recovery overshoot with higher than the as recommended at times 30 ohm maximum chokes. The last PS I modeled to the power tubes drops 8 volts for 16ms for a load change of 100 to 160ma, yet is a low ripple design.

4 volts better regulation (2.8% vs 1.4% regulation) & 4 ms faster time recovery (16ms vs 12ms) in a LESS design with high ripple is not a good tradeoff IMO.

Of course I can blowoff the whole discussion and build a shunt regulated PS, but I do not hear any difference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.