Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Horses for Courses.....

Sounds great and this is exactly what i meant.

An EL34 push pull amp called Virtual Image 24 Stereobloc used to consider one of the best sounding amp by all reviewer. And it's a conventioanl EL34 type amp in triode class A with output tranformer look like a Dynaco ST-70 OPT (A470)!! THis amp runs in triode mode, and my friend has one and it is capable 18W in triode class A, and put side by side comparison in 2004 against several reference amplifiers I have on hand:

- Fisher 50AZ (with KT90 triode) -- loan from my friend
- Lynn Olson Karna
- Lynn Olson Amity
- 300BXLS with parallel feed output stage
- Audion PX25 SE amp
- Welborne 45 DRD

The Virtual Image sounds really great even up against my reference amps, This is pretty solid in performance!!

I love high power, this is the reason I have my McIntosh MC3500 driving my JBL DD66000 with subwoofer! But I won't put 20 Watter Lynn Olson Karna or my all time favour 300BXLS amp on the JBL. I like the 45 on Hedlund horn system, I won't put a high power like Manley Ichiban amp or ASL Hurricane MKII or Big MAC on Hedlund horn.

I love Quad II amp on ESL57, but I love Electrocomapniet Otala Class A solid state amplifier on Stacked Quad ESL57 since no tube amplifier can handle the impedance from the stacked action......This is lots of example for having good sound through different (careful) matching and interfacing.

The theory also apply well in building amp.

Around 2 months ago, my friend who located in Asian now has asked me a question about building a big triode SE amp since the tube he can get is in graphite plate, not copper plate constructed. Actually I work on the same type of amp, and I just received a circuit from him and looks like this is derived from "Power Drive" circuit.

Let's back to the business, he was asking my comment, I told him less effort for part selection if metal plate tube is available. Since you deal with graphite plate, it will take you more time and effort to play with different parts and tune the circuit.

I've built amp with Valve Art 300B with graphite plate or other tube type with graphite, it's a nightmare, not bad sounding. But It takes me tremendous amount of time and energy for "parts selection" to achieve optimal result!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.