Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

Hi Thomas. Sounds like fun. I remember one system at a fellows home in L.A. He had an attic, each side of which was a part of an "A"-frame double-slope.

Inside, he had made concrete tunnel-ports (ala JBL Paragon!), but these were tall enough to stand up in, and wide enough to walk through. Each roof slope formed a side of each tunnel.

At the APEX-- on the floor- where sloped wall and the other side of his tunnel joined the floor-- that formed a corner. In each corner was a JBL 18" SVG type woofer.

Next, was a JBL 15" SVG woofer, enclosed in a transmission-line box. This box was placed IN the tunnel, on the floor. It was moved around to get "best sound".

Then, he used a 2" JBL midrange driver (similar to 375, etc.), with his own horn-load attached. This was a simple Fiberglas flare-horn. (not truly Tractrix or Exponential). Next was the tweeter, which was a small "bullet" placed in the room where he had deemed it to sound good. (Time-aligned).

A 300B amp drove both the tweeter and mid unit thru a passive crossover that was "simple"- oil cap and inductor.

The 15" woofer was driven by a Conrad-Johnson tube amp, and the 18" had a 200Watt Solid State unit.

Now, one might expect that all of this would not sound coherent. But, the guy was a pro baseball player and had no knowledge of electronics.

Therefore, he just did it right-- he had no preconceived notions or methods that he copied. He just set it up until it sounded right.

It is the 2nd best system I have ever heard, period.

I like your ideas. Low-loss path means that you use power supply energy in creative ways in the amp circuitry so as to avoid voltage and current losses (heating of signal-carrying components and leads). Layout and wiring perfection aids you in this process.

Where you need a low-DCR source from a dropping resistor to power a driver stage, etc.,, you can waste power here-- but NOT in the active circuitry-- with shunt regulation, and make the load "see" a low-DCR power source.

For sonic and reliability reasons, I use only resistors for shunt-regulators, the output of which receives additional low-DCR, and low-capacitance filtering..

This additional step does add the final control for the main power supply as well, finally bringing it into correct inductance and capacitance balance-- as an operating whole.

In earlier posts I had claimed that the ENTIRE amplifier was all power supply components-- this step is part of that. I don't think people "got it".

The LSES idea is still being judged by the MAIN p.s.-- as if it was the only thing operating there-- by itself-- containing two chokes and two caps. That system is a VERY SMALL PART of one of my power supplies.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes - tube wrangler 10:50:15 10/06/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.