Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

Hi Dennis,

> This isn't low-DCR, BUT the iron chokes store power-- lots of it. You
> are not suffering from too much time delay either, because the cap is
> so small. I think this is brilliant. If you now choose a low-loss path
> in the amp circuitry AFTER the last choke and small cap, you're there!

Thanks for the kind words. Could you elaborate, what you mean by the low-loss path after the last choke ? I use what I call a filament bias arrangement. The bias is provided by the filament current, which is drawn through a (low value) cathode resistor. See attached schematic.

> Tell me more about the Munich show. Munich is a great town. I'd like to
> know what it's like.

It was more like a semi-public event or private party. We call it "Schall & Rauch" ("Sound & Smoke"). It was the second installment of such an event in Munich. The main purpuse is to give people the chance to listen to some of the systems of the "Munich Triode Mafia" at their homes. So we organized small groups of 4-5 people who visited the Munich guys. In addition we had a central location called the "Vinyl Mafia Central" or VMC, where we set up a system and where we did turntable comparisons. We had 13 or 14 different turntables, vintage classics like various Garrads, studio EMTs and modern legends like the Scheu or Morsiani. All turntables where listened to using the same (externally mounted) arm and the same cartridge. I'm sure some reports will appear on the web soon, with photos.

Best regards

Thomas

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.