Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes

If you want a straight answer, leave this forum immediately and go to diyaudio.com.

There is a group here that views any DCR to be evil, rather than as a parameter which should be optimized to produce a well-behaved power supply. Think of DCR as the struts in your car's suspension - it provides the damping between the interaction of springs and vehicle mass (inductance and capacitance) as it responds to varying forces (currents). Too low of DCR, and the power supply rings at too high of a quality factor, and can add excessive color to the sound under dynamic load conditions (i.e., in a single-ended amplifier). Just like a car bobbing up and down with leaky struts, responding poorly. A low-DCR power supply for low-current applications might sound "full of life", but it's not necessarily the music you will be listening to. This can, and should, all be optimized via simulation - PSUDII is a good starting point. Too much DCR is a bad thing, but an optimized DCR can be of benefit.

For more information about filter theory for classical mechanical and electrical systems, check out Olson's Dynamic Analogies - one of the best references on this topic, and one of the most brilliant engineering texts I've encountered.

I'm surprised this debate has survived for so long!

BTW - the low-inductance in the LSES supply is something that I cannot take seriously, and is far more controversial than the simple low-DCR fad - it is not reasonable to expect input chokes below critical inductance to properly supply stable B+. A low-DCR power supply with sufficient L will perform well. The LSES as I've seen it described looks more like a bad cap-input supply with added resonances than it does a proper LCLC filter. I would not be willing to invest in building one.

Edits: 10/05/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Low DCR versus higher inductance chokes - jon_s 17:47:04 10/05/08 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.