Tube DIY Asylum

rectified cathodes and "ground"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Thread:  Display  Email  Next ] [ Tube DIY Asylum ] [ FAQ ]

Hi All,

As I have been playing with this rectifier (a 5Y3) in place of the resistor & cap from the cathodes (actually the CT of the filament transformer)of the output tubes (2A3s), I have been thinking about what is considered "ground". Taking what I have a step further, would there be any benefit to moving all ground points in the driver section to the cathode (the CT of the filament transformer, also the plate/s the rectifier), leaving only the grid resistor of the output tube and the power supply caps connected to the CT of the power transformer, a point formerly known as "ground"? How would this affect the load that the driver would see, as the grid resistor on the power tube is not terminated at the same potential as the cathode resistor of the driver? Also, would this lead to problems with the coupling between the 2 tubes?

You can probably tell that I don't get enough sleep and my mind wanders...

Tom

Follow Ups:

You can not post to an archived thread.

[
Contact Us ] [ Support/Wish List ] [ Copyright Warning! Click for Details ]

[ General ] [ Speakers ] [ Tubes ] [ Vinyl ] [ Digital ] [ Hi-Rez ] [ Video Asylum ] [ Cables ] [ Tweaks/DIY ] [ Music ] [ Films ]