Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Here's what I've done...

Hi.

I have a basic but good (as good as 8 track gets anyway) Sony player. Before dubbing them off, make sure the heads are clean, pop the cover of the deck off and trial-play a bit of the 8-track. align the head so it sounds best with that particular tape. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to do that with every single tape you put thru it though. That's because as another poster stated, 8 track tapes themselves are basically crap. There were huge mechanical quality differences between shells, and that coupled with the narrow track width of the tape and the fact that your pinch roller is a part of the cartridge itself, caused some monster alignment problems. You can usually get passable results if you tweak the heads on a tape-by-tape basis. I've had variable luck with this method, but it's a much better approach than just popping the tape in & hoping it sounds ok. Good luck & hope it works out well for you.

Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Here's what I've done... - soundnut 09:40:14 07/07/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.