Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: anyone had any mods done to their tapedeck??

Yes. I didn't do any of the mods myself, Paul at Tube Research did them all along with his machinist. I'll tell you the mods to one of the Scullys:

They started with a Scully 270 which is a large chassis playback only machine which will play the large 14 inch reels. First, everything was removed from the deck plate and a special 3/8 inch thick aluminum panel was machined to replace the original. The Scully SP-14 has a 3/8 inch deck plate. Next Paul suggested new drive motors and capstan motor, which he'd found through a friend at Skywalker Sound. This guy also had the rare factory flywheels which mount on the bottom of the drive and capstan motors for added speed stability and the parts to convert my machine to playback my 30 IPS masters.

All internal signal path wire is FIM Cable, I have a dozen different head stack mounting blocks which can be changed within a few minutes because different heads sound better with different reels (head spacing, etc.). He pretty much rebuilt the entire mechanical and scrapped the original Scully circuit and built his for me.

My previous deck was an ATR Services ATR-102.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: anyone had any mods done to their tapedeck?? - Jack Seaton 08:13:36 06/26/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.