Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: need to talk long

I gotta say I like what you present here. We've gone to 30ips master tapes to evaluate our prototypes and man, once you go there it's tough to go back to vinyl or CD. Of course it would be nice if there was more software available...as lucky as I am to have access to some masters, even our selection is a bit limited compared to the CD catalog ;^)>.

But you are right in that a really hardcore audiophool should get a RTR machine and learn to tune it to maximize it's performance. Right now is the time to do it, as even the high end machines are at rock bottom price-wise. During my last trip to the studio world down in the Bay Area it was apparent that older 2 track mastering decks are very reasonable and multitrack machines can sometimes be had just for offering to haul them away.

As an example I was looking to get something along the lines of an Ampex 351 for our listening room, until I realized that even an ATR could be had for the price of a medium/high end CD player. When one came up at a bargain price I snatched it. We plan to customize it by coming right off the plug-ins and skipping the I/Os, using our own electronics downstream instead.

Here's a link to one man's quest for the ultimate tape deck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: need to talk long - Doc B. 12:43:00 06/22/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.