Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: TEAC X10R Strange Reel Drag Issue

I almost got into the other thread but got distracted. I have my talents on R2R but I am not the best. But I can give you some general information.

The first thing is to find the source of the drag. I don't remember the "when upright" part being there though. That changes things. It may make half of what I am going to say irrelevant but why not ? So you might find more things that it is not.

Anyway R2R are much more easily serviced when layed down. While that may hide your problem it is not the end of the world to start from the beginning.

Find the source of the drag.

Methodically while it is rewinding or trying to, feel the tape for tension right at the reel driving it, in REW it will be the left one except on some old Viking Of Minneapolis unis. Start right there. If there is tension standing up it is likely there is tension laying down but maybe less. You want to know this.

Now the procedure is to go by the heads and rollers in the middle. Take a toothpick or swab stem or whatever and test the tape for tension in between EVERYTHING the tape touches.

Why do we want to do this instead of heading for the bottom and the brakes ? Well because those sticky pieces are effectively stickier with more tape tension. Later when you are into it with it standing up, then with that extra tension you can lift the tape off the part where the tension starts.

Now, as I said everything the tape touches, check specifically to see if it is dragging on that.

Eventually you will get to the feed reel, which in REW will be on the right. If the tension exists THERE, the whole problem is downstairs.

In that unit the reel motor bearings might be at fault. If so you might be able to switch them which will get you more years out of it.

Lots of these drag problems could be caused by the tape deteriorating, it comes off goopy. The shit can make a puddle of oil sticky.

Anyone wants to come in here and bitch about my long posts can stick it where it is sure not to get a sunburn. The guy had a question and it requires him to do certain things. Things are better with an explanation.

Last but not least... I retain rights to this text, I do license it for free distribution but in no way do I convey any of the rights.

HAHA I got prior art. }:-:)>

Be well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: TEAC X10R Strange Reel Drag Issue - JURB 17:22:39 01/07/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.