Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Converting a mountain of tapes to digital

I doubt you would need a digital resolution higher than 24/96, or possibly even 16/44. The first thing you need is a high-quality cassette player and the second thing you need is a digital recorder. I'll just focus on the digital recorder.

TASCAM makes some excellent recorders that are relatively inexpensive. They record onto SD memory cards or micro SD memory cards. You can copy each side of an LP intact and then transfer the digital copies to your computer by simply removing the memory card from the digital recorder and plugging it into your computer. TASCAM also provides free software for splitting your recordings into individual tracks and relabeling each track. The free software is called TASCAM Hi-Res Editor.

I would recommend checking out Sweetwater for buying a TASCAM digital recorder. Here is a TASCAM digital recorder for $90 that will record at 24/96 onto a micro SD memory card. You'll need to buy a micro SD memory card and an interconnect with a 3.5-mm headphone plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other. Anyway, TASCAM is what I would recommend for an inexpensive recorder and Sweetwater carries the whole TASCAM line.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.