Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: In the early 80's ...

I loved my 3bx from dbx system. worked great with recorded RTR's tapes and later cassettes from albums. CD's kinda eliminated the surface noise issue and early CD's offered better high end dynamics (crest factor). When I sold my RTR, the dbx's went with it (I also used a dbx 124 compander).
The loudness battle since downloaded and streamed music came onboard has pretty much crunched the dynamics of a lot of music to levels worse than AM radio! Even on CD's - where they seem to use about 40dB tops (Typically 25dB) dynamic range.

Live music is typically >40dB and often up to 60dB dynamic range. Now when I record CD's and Albums to my server I use a processing step to reduce the noise, and then a processing step to increase the dynamics. You noise a 5-6 dB increase. The trouble is that if you try to restore too much - the artifacts sound unnatural unless you really hone in on the details of the signals - and then you are talking about hours just to remaster a single song!

I think the modern DSP tools are much better than the old analog tools.
I do use a little expansion (4dB) in my most commonly used setting in my Crown amplifiers in the frequency range of 2kHz-6kHz. I had turned the setting back off for a project I was working on. went on vacation - and last weekend jumped back in to do some listening. Put my Rumors CD on and the percussion seemed flat. Selected the right program and bling! everything back to normal. Note I use some bass compression on my MMG's so at very loud levels they don't stress.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: In the early 80's ... - BigguyinATL 08:57:44 07/14/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.