Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Are dual capstans always better?

Hi Keith,
You are not exactly correct in this thinking. I have machines from the TEAC company to the ceiling- I used to work there. The 900 is a fine deck and only has one thing that is weak and that is the reel idler assembly. I have several dual capstan decks including Z6000 and C-1 as well as A800. These are known for trouble as the capstans and Pinch Rollers get dirty. They skew tape off the path and the end result is the damage to the edge of the tape which then shows up in each case to the left channel. I have also purchased several V900X off E bay because the people that are selling them have no idea what they have. They have Direct drive Capstan motors that stay within a couple of Hz speed accuracy over the years and a very good set of heads that were composed of ferrite and sendust at the time of manufacture. It also allows for computer calibration but then that has to be properly calibrated as there are adjustments inside but then it comes very close. Any other questions? Let me know. I think I have three of them right now.

Sam Palermo, Past Teac Technician, Chicago

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Are dual capstans always better? - skywavebe 14:58:56 06/21/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.