Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Stereotape/Audio Arts question

I don't think it's a question of reversing channels and hearing which sounds better. What matters is how the original recording was done and what the recording engineer intended. That's probably almost impossible to determine at this point.

Isn't it the Dvorak Serenade ST-8 tape that is under discussion? I've heard this piece with this exact instrumentation live. The players were arranged in an arc across the large stage with the oboes and clarinets on the left and the bassoons and two strings on the right. This is close to what I hear on the tape without the channels reversed -- from left to right: oboes, clarinets, bassoons, ending with the two strings on the right. It sounds like the three horns are behind, a common placement because horns are loud. Normally each pair of instruments are next to each other to facilitate coordination. In a recording it's likely the players were clumped closer together.

The tape box also says, "All STEREOTAPES , regardless of length, are wound on seven inch reels with the large hub." Not true. I have two Stereotape/Audio Arts tapes which are wound on small hub reels with the technical information on the box. The two reels have the correct label and look original. All higher-numbered tapes I have seen without the info are wound on small hub reels.

I also agree the writer was in error.

BTW, my Dvorak tape box is signed by the conductor. It says, "For dear old John (the right one) from David Raksin Happy leap year."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.